Saturday, February 27, 2010

When There's Nothing to Write About...

Generally, I try to end the day with writing.  Usually this means writing an article for one of the companies that I freelance for or writing a poem.  Tonight...I can't think of anything to write.

Because I think it is important to write anyway, I'm going to talk to you bloggers and readers of blogs.  I read today in a blog titled "The Mr. Rogers Guide to Blogging from the Heart" that blog followers read your blog because they sense that you care about them on some level.  Not just because you are teaching them something. 

After thinking about this for a bit, and agreeing to a certain extent, I asked myself how the reader would ever be able to tell that you cared.  I think the answer to that is making sure their voice is heard.  Their thoughts and opinions are especially imporatnt...

I blog because a friend told me I should.  There I said it.  I have never had much confidence in my writing ability even though I was always a strong editor, but a friend of mine believed in me enough to say that she would read a blog that I wrote...so I did.  I read blogs to become a better blogger.  Then, as I read, I start to get to know my blogging community and find myself genuinely interested in what's happening in their lives.  I also, just want to be entertained some of the time.  I appreciate an honestly entertaining blog like Where Sky Meets Ground, a blog I recently began following.

Here are your questions:

  1. Why do you or don't your blog?
  2. Why do you take the time to read blogs?
  3. What information do you find most helpful from a blog that you've followed?
  4. Any other thoughts or comments?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I know it's been a while since I've been on here and I often have those days where I have nothing to write... so I write nothing, which perhaps should change. I blog because I used to just journal and then read everyone what I wrote in my journal so i figured this would be easier! I blog because on the occasion where I feel the world needs to hear what I have to say I have a place for it. I blog when I feel I no other sense of control than to withhold or expose my emotions/feelings/thoughts. In essence, there are lots of reasons why I do.

    I read blogs to be enlightened, informed, entertained or inspired by others.

    I don't know about helpful information, i think I just appreciate people taking time to write the things that they are passionate about. There's a CS Lewis quote I love that speaks to this, but it's too long to put here.

    ReplyDelete