Monday, February 8, 2010

Is It Hormones or am I Crazy? How to Deal with Your Emotions

You know when it feels like something is dancing all over the very thing in your body that's keeping you sane?  It could be because I'm a mom and a wife with a lot on her plate, but there are distinct times when my top is about to blow and I don't even understand why!

When times like this occur, I'm in a state of constant confusion about what to do.  Do I take it out on my unsuspecting, undeserving husband?  Honestly I do sometimes, and it usually feels good because that insatiable need to act out my emotions is getting fed, but it isn't right.  Do I take it out on my sweet children?  That is half of what is wrong with most parents today. 

Those are the easy ways out...I avoid easy because it is usually wrong.

It is hard to face your own ugliness and easy to succumb to the emotions flying through your body like a bullet speeding until something forces it to stop.  Sometimes I use certain methods to stop the bullets before they hurt anybody like prayer and distraction.  Most of the time, the barrier I build is enough, but there have been times that the force is so great, the bullet shoots straight through it and someone else stops it.  Just like a real bullet, that usually hurts; at times, it has been fatal.  I like to call those relationship shredders. 

The best thing to do when those moments are upon you is to:
  • stop, clear your head, and seriously consider the impact of your actions
  • try to consider all of the amazing things you have to be grateful for 
  • pray for peace 
  • physically say that you are calm and OK out of your mouth
  • until you are ready to say something productive, don't say anything
Don't allow a moment of emotion to tear down any relationships in your life.  What do you do when you are overwhelmed with emotion?

1 comment:

  1. I remind myself that I'm not normal when the hormones are kicking around. That usually calms me down! Great points.

    ReplyDelete