Wednesday, February 17, 2010

To Freelance or Not to Freelance...That is My Question At Least!

Photo Credit: Umbrella by Salvatore Vuono
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Money_g61-Umbrella_p12310.html

You may be content where you are.  I think that is awesome.  I'm not so content...career wise of course.  Don't get me wrong...my family is wonderful.  Just the other day my husband willingly canceled his plans with the guys.  He set me on the couch, turned on 24 (currently on season six) and threatened that if I got up, I would have to deal with him.  I let him believe that was a viable threat that produced such fear that I wouldn't dare defy him...that's how you make a marriage work! :)

Anyway, my point is that I want to write...period.  But freelancing is a scary thing.  Unless you are in a place of no worries (i.e.  spouse makes great money so that your money is just icing), a steady income is a reasonable request. 

Well I'm doing my research, and even though I'm not at a place where I can make this happen or make a real decision, I wanted to share some of my research with you in case you have questions and concerns like me. 

Breaking Into The Business

The websites that give me the most information about really getting my feet wet are:

Copyblogger - Full of great information about copywriting, but also just writing in general.  I subscribe to have these emailed so I'm sure not to miss them.  Regardless, you are usually trying to promote or sell some sort of idea in your writing, so copywriting is a valuable skill.

Freelance Writing - This woman takes you on her journey of transitioning to freelance, but provides sound, valuable information on every aspect of freelance writing.  (I subscribe to this one too).

I know there other great ones out there, so please tell me about them in the comments.

Freelancing in the Meantime

In the meantime, when I'm not amazed at the deterioration of our world as seen through my ninth graders (morbid I know...it's been a looooong day), I'm doing some freelancing on the side.

Demand Studios - You have to apply, but they provide a never-ending supply of articles that get you a flat fee of $15/article.  May not seem like much, but you quickly learn how to crank out an article ever 45 minutes which is a nice time/money exchange rate.  To date, I have published well over 45 articles in my spare time over three months. 

Suite101 - This is an online magazine that allows you to write about whatever you want, and you make income as people go to those articles.  It isn't much for a while because it is more of a long term gig.  The more articles you get up, using the right keywords and techniques, the more views you'll get.  It's not for everyone, but it allows you to write!  Also they have very good tutorials on keywords and SEO optimization for your articles.  Check out my writer's profile if you want a better idea.

Associated Content - Very similar to Suite101 except you can either get paid by page views or submit the article for upfront payment.  I haven't been contributing to AC as much because I like the Suite101 set up better, but it is still a viable writing outlet. 

Branding and Business

One of the best blogs I have read to date about the arts, business and branding is Regina Rhythm.  She explains art of creative entrepreneuership and has great tips on setting yourself apart and getting your name out there.

Reading Great Blogs

Reading great blogs helps you become a better writer and allows you to make real connections online.  A quick list of some great blogs that I read are:

When My Heart Leaks, My Pen Speaks - So witty and fun...I'm just waiting on this blogger to write a book!

Jill Kemerer - Great insights on writing in general, but specifically she focuses on romance and the use of it in your writing.  Everybody needs a little romance.

Steph in the City -  Fun looks at life's realities as well as good writing information are provided in this blog. 

Through My Eyes - This blog soothes my deeply creative and poetic side.  She offers wonderful poems and deep thoughts with every post.

The Write Worship - Beautifully written every time I read it, this blog is positive and inspiring.

Please give me feedback on what you've read, and I always appreciate more resources.  What do you think and feel about freelancing?

1 comment:

  1. Brittany, thank you so much for the mention, but thank you more for the great links on freelance writing. I've been at the point where I would like to expand my writing to articles, so this came at a great time for me.

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete