Monday, March 8, 2010

So I Was Called A Willow Tree...

Last week, I decided to go to a service for women at a church that is near my house.  It is not my church, but they have an awesome women's service and my husband was helping to lead worship.  (I'm setting this up so the rest of this post doesn't seem odd. 

As I was leaving, a woman stopped me and asked if I had a minute.  I did, and she asked me if I was familiar with the scripture about the tree planted next to the water.  For your reference, it says,  "He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalm 1:3.

She then told me that the bible often refers to oaks, but that I was a willow tree.  At first I didn't know how to take it and I'm still figuring it out, but, after some research, I found out a few things about willows:
  • roots are known for their toughness, size, and drive to live and find moisture
  • at full maturity, they are larger than most oaks
  • their trunks have different "strands" that intertwine and wrap around each other
  • they can be gorgeous
  • without attention, the leaves can overwhelm the rest of the tree
How does this relate? 

I long to have deep roots, to not be moved by whatever comes along, but, instead, be planted and solid. 

I long to grow and mature into a woman that loves life, her family, God, and people.  I want to make a difference in the world, but first, in my own backyard.

There are many complex parts to me and that can seem overwhelming, but they work together and "intertwine" to make up who I was created to be.

I'll take gorgeous any day.

I have to be careful to not just pay attention to others, but take time for myself.  Trim my branches and tend to my overall well-being.

This really encouraged me and I would suggest that you take the time to figure out what tree represents who you are or who you want to be.  OOOH! and I have an idea...tell me about it!

3 comments:

  1. Brittany, this is a lovely post! You make a splendid willow tree.

    I'm curious about what kind tree I would be.

    I long to be be grounded and sturdy. Confident and full grown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamika - That is a great question. I plan on doing some research seeing how I know nothing about trees or plants in general. Sturdy, confident, and full grown...I will keep that in mind during my search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete