Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What do you give...

When you really need to reach down and give something  you don't think is there, what do you do?  It is the tendency of some to just give up, walk away, and give nothing.  It is the tendency of others to give until they are drained to the point of bed ridden life living.  I think the key is balance. 

I love it when I begin writing these things and I answer my own questions.  I know it seems as though I begin writing with a purpose in mind and I tried to be clever by starting out with a question.  Then somehow I cunningly insert a wise thougtht and BAM! I've taught the world something.  It's not like that.

This morning I felt like I had nothing more to give to my family, my job, or anyone else, but when I asked myself what kind of person I was, I decidedly answered that I was the one that never stopped giving.  I'm realizing as I write this that is unhealthy in so many ways and so, now, I think the key is balance.

We have to learn to set boundaries and tell people how we feel.  Assuming they know or can discern is setting yourself up for failure.  Even when these people are dependent on you (like your children), reach out for help from others when  you need a break.  It is so important to have a little left to help rejuvenate. 

3 comments:

  1. I feel your point Brittany. I'm trying to still give. I see you do it. This is the most drained point of my life and some days I feel utterly useless to others. I keep praying for the little bit of peace or little bit of strength I need for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina - I wish I could have posted something that would just solve everything, but in the meantime, we have each other and that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tough time of year. I want to give, give, give, but I'm tired! I think it's good to take a little time to relax so we can give.

    Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete