Friday, March 12, 2010

It Takes A Lot of Faith

Motivation for a Better World


Teaching in today's public schools gives you a real sense of where the world is headed.  Don't get me wrong, some students eventually blossom into mature people with real goals and good heads, but there are so many that don't. 

A LARGE number of my students have parents that had them when they were students and either didn't finish or barely finished high school.  These are parents that can't help their kids with their homework on subjects that they possibly never made it to. 

Not only that, but I have had students that have told me their parents actually made fun of them for getting up and coming to school every morning.  How long do you think this young person will last? 

This is the burden that I carry.  I'm good at my job.  I connect with the students.  I teach them what I know, but I'm soooo tired of it.  I'm torn between staying, helping, and leaving for something that will be more comfortable, but make less of an impact.

How do you know what the right move is?  Where is the satisfaction in helping when you are so tired of seeing the same stuff and feeling like you are getting nowhere with a confused generation.  Where is the guidance for them outside of school?  How will I prepare my children for a world that is set out to corrupt and discourage them? 

I really don't know.

This is where faith comes in. 

I could go on, but I want to hear your thoughts on this.  What are some of your answers to these questions?

2 comments:

  1. I know it's hard and easier said than done, but do not grow weary in well-doing. You never know WHO is going to take that seed you planted and turn it into a blossoming life. Keep dropping seeds because you don't know what is fertile soil and what is hard and rocky - beyond cultivation.

    ReplyDelete