Monday, April 5, 2010

A School Bus is NOT Yellow!

As I was taking my little ones to daycare this morning, we stopped next a large school bus at the light.  My son, who surprises me every day with his 2-year old knowledge, looks over and says, "Mama, bus...bus...yellow...bus."  Here lies my dilemma.

THE SCHOOL BUS IS NOT YELLOW!  What have we been told from the time that we could walk?  The school bus is yellow.  It is yellow in books.  It is yellow in drawings, but it is not yellow in person.  It is orange.

Now you may be wondering why I'm stressing over this small life detail.  Because how often are we expected to go along with something simply because society tells us that it is the right thing to do.  What if it is not true?  Are we still expected to accept the non-truth, so that no one gets uncomfortable?

There are certain lifestyles I don't agree with, and there are ways that people raise their children that I don't agree with.  There are ways that people dress and things that people say that I don't agree with.  There are ways that people treat each other that I don't agree with.  There are certain beliefs that I don't agree with.

I have a basis (the bible, I know for some of you that is another post entirely, but please read on...) for all these things that I don't agree with...they are not because I'm trying to be difficult.  But if I were to speak against these things in a loud way, some would call me intolerant.  They would say I'm being mean or rude.  This is not true.

I can love people and not like what they do.  I can serve and care for those whose lifestyles I don't agree with.  I can befriend those people who don't raise their children in a way I believe is right or who live their life through a set of beliefs I don't agree with. 

I can love these people, but I don't have to agree with them, and if they love me in return, I don't have to fake it.

So, look people, I'm tired of calling the school bus yellow because it isn't, and I told my son that it was orange today and I'm happy I did....

3 comments:

  1. There needs to be a font or a word that one can use when leaving a comment on another's blog to signify, "I agree completely with everything you've just said and there's nothing more to be said."

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! this was funny to me. The bus is orange and so it shall be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you! And it always surprises me how intolerant OTHERS are. Just because I disagree with them does NOT mean I don't like or despise them. I'm simply voicing my opinions, which do not entail that others MUST agree with! Some people really take it the wrong way with difference in opinions.

    ReplyDelete