Tuesday, November 10, 2009

While you don't have kids...

I love it when people complain to me about how little time they have.  Just wait until you have kids.  Just wait until you have to use the bathroom, but you can't because your child needs you more.  Just wait until you forget to eat because you are too busy feeding them.  Just wait...

OMG!  I sound like old people!  I'm grateful for my kids.  They bring me joy every single day.  Just two days ago my 20 month old boy heard his mommy's phone ringing, saw that I was tied up feeding his 3 month old sister and went to answer it for me without me saying a word!  Talk about the sweetest thing ever!

We have to be so careful to not turn bitter and complain about our blessings.  While you don't have kids...sure live it up, but when you have kids, you can still make time for what you care about.  You can still start a business, pursue a new career, go back to school, learn karate...whatever and you'll feel better for it.

Here are some practical steps for still living your life:
1.  Get on something that closely resembles a routine - I know things won't be perfect, but more often than not, you will have more time to devote to other things.
2.  Set attainable, short-term goals for yourself - If you know there is a mission to be accomplished, you will more than likely make it happen.  If you constantly talk about what you are going to do, it will never get done.
3.   Be prepared and realistic - If you know that your goal calls for internet and you don't have any, it is not realistic to think that you will have 2 hours to go spend at Schlotzky's when you have children and other responsibilities at home.  Gather what you need before hand and be prepared when opportunities present themselves.
4.  Utilize free time wisely - When I have a day off away from the kids, the only thing I really want to do is lounge and get rest.  Sometimes that is exactly what you need to do, but if it is not one of those moments, it is time to do what you need to do to be prepared.  Make phone calls, go to the store for supplies, brainstorm, etc...  The wash will still be there tomorrow and so will the kitchen...your ideas may not be.

You may feel like you have no time and you don't even have children...the same steps apply.  Children just make it more interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, isn't this the truth! I found the busiest years to be the baby and toddler years. I almost drove myself nuts trying to write and raise babies! The good Lord stepped in and reminded me that I had plenty of time to achieve my dreams.

    After that, I mellowed out. And now that I'm no longer wiping spaghetti out of hair, I do have the time I desperately wanted back then. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, where did all my free time go? Before I had my first I thought I was busy. Before I had my second I thought I was BUSY. Should I go a third?? :)

    ReplyDelete