Tuesday, October 6, 2009

So Bad Things Do Happen To Good People

This age old question seems to hover around our minds and ultimately taunt our hearts.  Why me?  Why not someone who "deserves" it?  Isn't that what we are really saying?  We are implying that someone else deserves this more than we do.  Although I would like to see myself as a good person, the truth is that I have lied, cheated, stole, murdered in my heart, and acted ungrateful at some point in my life.  Some would tell me to not sweat it because that is only human.  EXACTLY!

Aren't we all human?  Haven't we all fallen short of God's expectations?  So, if that is the case, who am I to say that someone else deserves this pain more than me?  Sure it hurts and I DON'T want it.  I don't even want to write about this because I have then acknowledged the very thing that could have been my excuse to sulk.  But it has to be exposed.  If it isn't then I'm stuck and God is too good for me to be stuck.

Our purpose in our pain is not always clear, but that is why bad things happen to "good" people...it's the purpose.  There is one regardless of what you believe. Unfortunately, if you don't believe that this world was divinely created with a purpose then your pain really is purposeless and that makes it hurt even worse.  Through my pain, I am learning how to identify with the One that endured pain for me.  I am learning what it means to sacrifice and love those who have ultimately hurt me.  I'm in training for the moments in this lifetime when someone, anyone needs to have the decency to stand up for someone who may or may not "deserve" it.  I'm putting myself in a place where God can use me in any situation. 

That means the payoff is huge!

That means the withdrawl I can make after this time of pressured deposits is exponentially more lucrative than before.

Thank you God!

If life was all about feeling good and getting what we wanted, how would we learn anything?  If that was really what life was all about, who would be helped?  Sure things would feel better more often, but as soon as you attempted to dig deeper inside yourself to see what was really there, you would be left empty, disappointed and scared that what you see is really all there is to you.

I won't have that problem.

2 comments:

  1. you know Britt, your writing style is great for blogging - very brief and to the point. I gotta get on that level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great lesson that I feel I'll have to refer back to. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete