Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So...I have been slapped in the face by reality...

So...I have been slapped in the face by a reality today...one that I have not ignored, but simply just forgot about. I'm writing this so that all of you other women out there that take care of a million things a day, have very little time for yourself already, and are already pushed to the limit in the key areas of your life can add ONE more thing to your plate...

Be a mom, sister, and/or friend to a young woman.

There is a need in our society for female fellowship. The world says that women are NOT supposed to be friends...instead we are supposed to compete. We want to know who is the sexiest, prettiest, finest, most intellectual, most accomplished, etc... This is a lie and we have taken in large spoonfuls of crap that separate, isolate and ultimately dislocate us from our purposes in this life.

Now I'm not talking about some feminist walk all over everybody and burn our bras (because somehow they are the symbol of man's conventional oppression) mentality. Instead I'm talking about a connection, one that has been overlooked yet longed for since human beings roamed this earth.

Perspective is the key to taking time out for another woman in your life. If you look at it as just one more thing to do, then that will be exactly what it is, but if you genuinely work to start a relationship, one that brings you joy, it will turn out to be exactly what you needed.

2 comments:

  1. Brittany, you're so right about this. I am guilty of not forming extra relationships outside of my pre-existing ones.

    Where do you find the inspiration to do so? I really want to; I just lack that initial effort. I guess the desire needs to grow a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here :) First of all, I love that you started a blog! Great job Regina in encouraging others to flourish in their gifting!
    I've worked sole with teenage girls for awhile now, but lately have definitely sensed God putting on my heart, "hello, what about those girl that were like you in college, growing into adulthood?" I grew so much by older women pouring into me, by awesome girlfriends standing by my side. We must continue extending those relationships to the next generations, so they in turn can continue.
    We were just at Pluckers yesterday (yes, by campus, haven't been there in forever!) for the fundraiser against child trafficking and ran into several college girls within our church, and they too echo that desire, they WANT mentors/sisters/spirtual mothers, they realize they NEED it. God is doing something, and thankful people are listening. Excited for this next season! Let's keep talking about it!
    -Melissa W.

    ReplyDelete